2016 Pier One Sydney Harbour NSW Wine of the Year:
not your every day, run of The Mill wine!
The 2016 Pier One Sydney Harbour NSW Wine Awards top Trophy results have just been announced at the gala Presentation Lunch at Pier One Sydney Harbour on Friday 28th October, and for the first time the ultimate title of ‘2016 Pier One Sydney Harbour NSW Wine of the Year’ goes to a wine made by a Cowra based winery.
Tom Ward, President of the NSW Wine Industry Association, says, “The NSW Wine Awards never cease to delight me; showcasing the finest wines from our well-known, legendary local winemakers and also unveiling and highlighting some true hidden gems from some of our smaller wine regions in terms of production – but not quality!
“The 2016 Awards also really proved that quality is being backed up by variety. I have not seen such a diverse range of wines from styles to regions be awarded and it gives me great pleasure. NSW Wine is really starting to lead across many areas and it is an exciting time to be a part of.”
“The quality of this year reflects the strong vintages of 2014, 2015 and 2016 that we have seen from across our regions. As regions are working out how to grow better grapes and then carry that through to the winery we are seeing distinctive and regional wines as a result.”
The wines awarded the Trophies at the 2016 Pier One Sydney Harbour NSW Wine Awards are as follows…
- Multi Color Trophy for Best Young Riesling ~ Colmar Estate 2016 Block 6 Riesling (Orange)
- NSW DPI Trophy for Best Young Semillon ~ First Creek 2016 SV Murphys Semillon (Hunter Valley)
- Trophy for Best Young Sauvignon Blanc ~ Brangayne of Orange 2015 Sauvignon Blanc (Orange)
- Longfellow’s Trophy for Best Young Chardonnay ~ First Creek 2014 Winemakers Reserve Chardonnay (Hunter)
- Trophy for Best Young White Other Varieties ~ Tulloch Wines 2016 Cellar Door Release Pinot Gris (Orange)
- Trophy for Best Mature Dry White ~ Tyrrell's 2009 Vat 1 Semillon (Hunter Valley)
- Trophy for Best Light Red ~ Tulloch Wines 2016 Cellar Door Release Sangiovese Rose (Orange)
- Trophy for Best Young Pinot Noir ~ Rotherwood Estates 2015 Pinot Noir (Southern Highlands)
- Orora Stelvin Trophy for Best Young Shiraz ~ Windowrie Estate 2015 “The Mill” Shiraz (Central Ranges)
- Riedel Trophy for Best Young Cabernet Sauvignon ~ Ballinaclash 2015 "Joseph" Cabernet (Hilltops)
- Trophy for Best Young Other Red Varieties ~ Tamburlaine 2015 Reserve Malbec (Orange)
- Trophy for Best Young Red Blend ~ Pokolbin Estate 2014 "Phoenix" Shiraz Tempranillo (Hunter Valley)
- Australia Post Trophy for Best Mature Red ~ George Wyndham 2009 Black Cluster Shiraz (Hunter Valley)
- NSW DPI Award for Best Organic Wine ~ Tamburlaine 2015 Reserve Malbec (Orange)
- CiSRA Canon Trophy for Best Sparkling Wine ~ De Iuliis 2011 Sparkling Chardonnay (Hunter Valley)
- Trophy for Best Sweet Wine ~ Bunnamagoo 2013 Autumn Semillon (Mudgee)
- Trophy Best Dry White of Show ~ Tyrrell's 2009 Vat 1 Semillon (Hunter Valley)
- CCL Label Trophy for Best Dry Red of Show ~ Windowrie Estate 2015 “The Mill” Shiraz (Central Ranges)
And the ultimate title of ‘Pier One Sydney Harbour 2016 NSW Wine of the Year’ goes to … the Windowrie Estate 2015 “The Mill” Shiraz. Windowrie Estate is owned and run by the O’Dea family, who started growing grapes in the 1980s and then opened the Cowra region’s first winery. Their winning Shiraz was described by 2016 Chair of Judges, PJ Charteris, as “a wine that expresses its beautiful fruit first and foremost. It is great to see fruit and distinctive varietal fruit character as the defining features of a wine”.
2016 Pier One NSW Wine Awards Results
Preliminary results for the 2016 Pier One NSW Wine Awards are now available on the link below: